One of my favourite things in life is fried chicken.
I love the stuff and for me, a crispy chicken burger is the business.
This is the recipe for Beauty’s Plucky Chicken Burgers from the Belle and her Beau chapter in Fairytale Food.
Illustration by Yelena Bryksenkova
Beauty’s Plucky Chicken Burgers
2 large skinless chicken breasts
salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons buttermilk
100g fresh breadcrumbs (just blitz some white bread in a food processor)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
100g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 large egg, beaten
4 or 5 tablespoons olive oil, enough for shallow frying
- Take your chicken breasts and slice them both in half through the middle so that you are left with 4 escalopes. Depending on the size of your chicken breasts you should get 4 medium-sized burgers from this amount of chicken, but you can adjust the amount to suit you.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, season well with salt and pepper, and spoon over the buttermilk. Make sure all the chicken is well coated in the buttermilk and then pop it into the fridge for a few hours to marinate – this will ensure that the chicken stays lovely and tender when cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Put the breadcrumbs into a dish and add the paprika, chilli flakes (you can leave these out if you can’t stand the heat) and some salt and pepper. Stir well. Put the seasoned flour and beaten egg in their own separate dishes.
- Take a piece of chicken and dip it into the flour, covering it well. Then dip it into the beaten egg and finally into the breadcrumbs. Make sure it’s well coated, then place to one side on a plate while you prepare the remaining pieces.
- Line a large baking tray with foil and grease lightly with olive oil. Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a high heat, getting it really hot. You can test whether it’s hot enough by dropping a breadcrumb into it – if it starts to fry you’re there! Fry the chicken in the hot oil one piece at a time so that they are nicely browned – this will only take about a minute per burger. Place the fried chicken on the prepared baking sheet and finish off in the oven for about 10–15 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Serve in a large bread roll with plenty of mayonnaise, crispy lettuce and tomato – beautiful!